Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"Squeaky Clean"

I went to check on our Irish guests today, and the wife said everything was fine... except they had a "wee visitor" in their jacuzzi bathtub this morning. Apparently, a mouse had been walking along the edge and fell in (that's the only way we can figure it got down there). She said it looked as though it couldn't get back out, but she wasn't sure if the wee critter was still there because she didn't see it after her shower. Soooo, I moved them to another room and checked the tub. Nothing there. I went downstairs to get Melissa, a teenage girl we hired to help at the B&B. I figured this would be a good time to show her how to clean that tub around the jets and filter, etc. before she left for the evening. I actually have to get in the tub to clean the other side because it's so big. (You can see a picture of it on our website.)

As I'm about to step in, what do I see hanging out of one of the jets but a MOUSE'S TAIL! It had gotten up on the side of a jet to hide. Well, of course I start screaming and hop right up on the toilet seat! After our shrieking, we tried to make a plan. Wouldn't you know?... Paul wasn't home. We tried Kiara-- she's brave. Well, I think our exaggerated fear made her think this must've been some sort of mutant attack mouse, so she opted to just watch. Finally, our brave employee managed to trap it in a plastic container. It was actually kinda cute, once it was contained. Still, I triple-checked the lid to make sure it was on good. Then Kiara then saw that this was a regular ole' harmless mouse and agreed to release it in the woods. I then checked all of the jets to make sure it didn't have any friends and proceeded to show Melissa how to clean the tub. Later I remembered the little trinket I had in THAT bathroom. Funny how we have 5 bathrooms and that one happens to be where I decided it should go. How ironic is this?... I took a picture of it to go with this post...

4 comments:

  1. What a funny story! I loved it!
    I had an experience I can share:
    One afternoon in the spring, I was straightening up the den after two of our grandsons had spent the night. I noticed that one of them had left a stuffed animal on the back of our big easy chair (so I thought). I reached out to pick it up, and it's little eyes looked up at me. I ran into the kitchen and got up on the counter screaming for Gary, telling him, "It's alive!" I was so shocked, that's all I could say. He took a better look and said it was a chipmunk. He got a net to catch it, but the little guy got through it and was free, running behind all our furniture. We moved piece by piece herding it toward the kitchen and we opened the dooor, hoping it would run out. When we finally got it into the kitchen, it took a wide swing toward the door and went by the dog's water bowl. Suddenly, it turned around and ran back to the bowl, climbed up on the edge, and hung into the bowl drinking the water. Well, that melted our hearts, and what was terrorizing us a minute earlier turned into a momentary pet - cherished member of the family. When he got his fill, he scampered out the door and through the yard before the dog knew he was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam,

    Thanks for sharing your story. It was a good one! Reminds me of the time we scooped up what we thought was a dead mouse, then it turned over, opened up its wings and screeched... turned out to be a BAT that we woke from hibernation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that was funny...
    reminded me of Tori & Dean Inn Love
    (reality show)
    They had a mouse in the tub at their Inn as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laughing my head off! I didn't realize I hadn't finished reading the blog. I have to say thats the cutest mouse I ever saw.
    Love,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete