Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Other Than Innkeeping...


I just got back from orientation for becoming an adjunct professor at Southside Virginia Community College. If I get enough students to make the classes, I'll be teaching Intro to Early Childhood Education and Guiding Children's Behavior. I am excited about this opporunity as it will be a great way to supplement our fluctuating B&B income, and I enjoy teaching adults who want to learn! I may also be teaching elementary-age students who are on homebound this year. I've done a little of that in the past and really liked the one-on-one focus.

Paul is working part time now for Family Preservation Services. He's a mentor for troubled youth and also monitors others who are on house arrest. For the mentoring part, he gets paid to "hang out" with the kids! (What a job!) The monitoring involves resonding to a page every time a client goes out of range and making sure they have their ankle bands on by doing weekly checks. It's great having a job that is so flexible because we can work it around the B&B and other commitments. Here's a recent picture of my guy- taken during a recent camping trip... Isn't he a cool cat??? Speaking of cats...
Scroll to the bottom to see a slide show I created of our pets. I managed to include all but one of our cats who is always in hiding. It was a lot of fun to do! The link is there if anyone wants to make their own...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats to both of you on your new jobs. That is exciting! We really do need to get up there and visit you guys. It would be such a fun road trip. We are saving for our second adoption right now but we will certainly make plans to come visit within the next couple of years.
    Tell Paul he looks cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see you got your Coffee House going. It looks like a fun place to meet and hang out. I am very excited for you that you re teaching at the college level - a big jump from Donohoe Elem. I'm sure it will be enjoyable to teach eager adults! Good luck. Paul's pursuits also sound interesting and certainly not a run of the mill kind of job. You guys never cease to amaze me! I also enjoyed your pet show! Is Peeper the missing pet? Is he the one that got the collar stuck in his mouth on my watch? No wonder he is traumatized.

    ReplyDelete