Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fun in the Country


Being a suburban girl all of my life, I'm having to grow accustomed to the nuances of country living. I must admit that it has been 3 years and I still haven't gotten over my Kohl's withdrawl... and I really miss having more than just a handful of restaurants from which to choose for a night out. However, I am finding that life in a rural setting really does have its advantages. We just got back from an event called "An Evening of Railroad Music and Song" which was held at a beautiful nearby farm. The purpose is to raise awareness (and funds) to save two local railroad depots. Among several local performers was a group called the Buckingham Lining Bar Gang. The Gang demonstrated how "call and response" work songs were used as cadence to push railroad tracks into proper alignment in earlier times.
A hayride took visitors on a tour of the grounds, including nearby railroad tressles, and they had poles to lend out for fishing in the pond.

As we were walking around, I realized that I knew most of the people there-- at least by face. That didn't happen often in Richmond. It is kinda neat to been so embedded in a community that you could go somewhere and not feel like an "outsider". We have met so many great people in the short time we have been here. Most of them are over 70, but still they are great people!

We all really had a great time. My mom came with us, which made it extra special! Kiara went back home with her grandma for the night. I'm sure they will watch movies and play with the dog until 2 a.m. We have a full house tonight, but no one needs breakfast in the morning so I can sleep in a little later. Yeah!

3 comments:

  1. Sleeping late is always a good thing! I love your description of the "Evening of Railroad Music and Song"-I can totally imagine it. Little towns have a lot going for them. It's weird-when you move to a town smaller than the previous town you think you miss things. But when you go back to the bigger town to visit, the things you missed are more fun-because they're special.

    I look forward to reading more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You three are really blessed. It took a lot of guts to leave everything familiar and follow your dream.
    Our next door neighbors in Levittown were always saying they were going to move to the country. I didn't even know what the country was. I don't think I ever saw a cow until I went to Canada when I was in high school. And those were Canadian cows. I've never seen an American cow close up. But you are living in the country and watching the cows roll by!
    I learned about those "call and response" songs in an ethnomusicology class I took in college. Very cool.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know how living in my little small town is. HAHA. I am so thrilled about you blogging. You are doing an excellent job!!! I can keep up with you now. YAY!!! Don't you just love small towns?

    ReplyDelete