Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Day Finally Came

I was wondering when this day would come. I picked Kiara up from school and she was upset to the point of tears. It was so painful for me to hear the words, "My friend teased me because I'm adopted." It appears they got in an arument and this girl tried to get back at her by saying some hurtful things like her birthparents didn't love her and gave her away and we weren't her real parents. I can't tell you how much this hurt me to see my baby girl's pain. I tried to explain how special she was BECAUSE she's adopted and reassured her that we were her "real" parents.

Tomorrow is the last day of school. I'm going in to eat lunch with Kiara and to talk to the friend. I pray all goes well with that and that it at least shows Kiara that I'm willing to stick up for her. Kiara asked me to do that, and I really want to start the summer off on a good note. So hopefully things will be resolved. But I wonder if those hurtful words will linger in Kiara's mind and create some insecurities. We've always celebrated adoption, and I hope the positive light we've put it in through the years gives her the reassurance she needs during this time.

1 comment:

  1. Sherry,
    Not only are you the best mother a child could ever have whether or not you are Kiara's biological mother, you are one of the best people I know. You are a wonderful friend to me and you enrich the lives of the people around you. Kiara is so lucky to have such a loving mother and father and together you are a family that anyone would envy. Being around you, Kiara and Paul as much as I am fortunate to be, I see a very secure child who has never seemed to have had an issue with being adopted. She knows who her parents are and who her family is. Children are cruel unfortunately and this is probably not the only time someone at school will hurt her but she is one tough child and I believe you have given her the strength she needs to deal with this situation. It is good it happened at the end of the school year. It will be more easily forgotten amidst the summer fun. Joan

    ReplyDelete