Thursday, June 11, 2009

41 Tomorrow

Tomorrow is my 41st birthday. I am spending the day with Kiara at my mom's house. As I reflect on lessons I have learned so far in my life, I think these would be at the top of the list...

1. Contentment is easier to hold onto when you can find be thankful in every bad situation. When you loose $5, be thankful it wasn't your whole wallet. If your boss is annoying, be glad you aren't married to him! If you are having a bad hair day, be glad you haven't lost it all from chemo.

2. When people ask "How you are doing?", they really only want to hear "fine" or "great". People do not want to hear much more than that... especially complaints and problems. They have enough of their own. God doesn't want me to complain, and I've really tried to get better as I grow older (and I seem to find more things I feel are worth complaining about).

3. My goals here on earth must be Christ-centered. There will be no corporate ladders, salaries, IQ tests or beauty pageants in heaven... so why focus on worldly things now? I try to focus my thoughts on what matters to God and brings Him glory. This isn't easy, but it is one of the most important things I'm realizing in life.

4. Enjoy every single moment of life because it really does go quickly. Study the beauty of your child's eyes as she looks at you. Take a deep breath to fill your lungs with crisp morning air before heading to work. Watch the deer out in the yard even though you're in a hurry to start dinner. Those little events in life may become a memory you will later cherish.

5. As I grow older, I think more and tend to analyze more-- which lends itself to becoming more set in my ways. Yes, age brings wisdom, but I hope all the wisdom I'm gaining doesn't make me more judgemental. I am cognizant of this tendency and will strive to keep an open mind, accepting of others, and willing to think differently about things even though I might know a lot about it.

Well, I'm sure I could come up with more... but the smell of a birthday cake that my daughter is now baking for me is reminding me to get off of the computer and enjoy a little time with her and my mom. Life is for the living now. I must go seize the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment